Monday, October 15, 2012

No more swimming!

Good day ocean swimming friends. I'm afraid I will not be swimming in Vancouver's ocean waters for some time now. It's neither because an oil spill has occurred nor have I been forbidden from the beach by strict Vancouver beach policy. Rather, it is because I am joyfully travelling southward for the winter towards warmer waters and returning my attention entirely towards forest adventure and away from the sea, or at least to some extent. 

 I am cycling along the west coast of the United States exploring the world's largest and tallest trees with the aim of eventually making it down to the southern tip of the continent. So, while my main interest is now in trees, I am still delighted to travel parallel North America's pacific coast all the way to Panama. Some of you may be proud to know that I am travelling with swim cap and goggles but I gotta say from my current location south of San Francisco (2300 km later) that I am having a hard time finding anywhere to swim. Nothing yet equals the convenience, relative warmth, or safety from predators and strong currents as we have at our local Vancouver shoreline.

I can hardly wait to return to swim in our local waters and I hope no oil spills ruin this potential while I am gone! Vancouver is one of the best places to live in the world; we prosper as a city and as individuals in our healthy environment and transporting tankers of diluted bitumen out of our port will not improve our welfare, while risking it enormously. 

anyway, check out my new blog, the adventures are so far wild!
Thebigtreetour.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment