Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Trying out the wetsuit, the first swim.



Like many Vancouver residents I derive a significant amount of my recreation and physical exercise from outdoor activities such as skiing, mountaineering, hiking, cycling and rockclimbing. Recently I have escaped from chlorinated, often busy swimming pools and began swimming in the ocean. Of course, the ocean around Vancouver is usually frigid so for this I purchased a wetsuit. I bought a 'shorty' wetsuit for $25 at the local sports consignment store, which I figured was a reasonable price for helping me access a distinct and likely beautiful outdoor swimming experience.

My first ocean wetsuit swimming experience was a couple weeks ago on June 27th. In just a few minutes I cycled from my work place in UBC to the Wreck Beach trail, descended the steep staircase, arrived at the beach and entered the ocean. The coldness stung my lips and my face quickly went numb as I left the beach swimming towards the outer buoys. I noticed a strong southward current so I angled against it aiming to beat the current and arrive at the far end of the beach. I am a fairly inexperienced swimmer so my arms quickly tired from the front crawl forcing me to switch to a backstroke. Here, I watched a great blue heron, with a tremendous wing span fly nearly right over my head. Inspired I then looked to my left and spotted one of my favourite groves of trees in all of UBC, a group of tall, several hundred year-old Douglas-firs with dead spiked tops above a steep cliff, so dramatic.

Accustomed to the calm and clear lanes of UBC pool, the waves, zero visibility, strong current and cold water that exceeded the comfort zone of my wetsuit was challenging and slightly disorienting but I was pleased to be sharing the space with seagulls, great blue herons and even a seal whose head I spotted further out instead of competing for space in the lanes
. When I emerged my teeth were chattering, and I was exercised to the max. I had to quickly dry, change and run up the Wreck Beach stairs to regain my body heat. The swim was hard but I felt unbelievably exhilarated and felt amazing for the rest of the day. I was almost sold on ocean swimming but I wondered if I could handle it?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ira, I met you at Sushi Bang on Cambie and Bway. I was having a conversation with my friend about ocean swimming and you told me to go for it! Well, we've been swimming since then and are going again tomorrow that will be Sat Nov 21. Thanks for the blog and the inspiration! Everybody should winter swim!

    ReplyDelete